I have moved my Blog to my new Website

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://www.box7design.com/irish-interior-design-blog/
and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, August 26, 2010

New End Old White Bear







I'm just back from London and Brighton and while there I managed to check out some new and not so new bars and restaurants. First off for a look is The Old White Bear in New End, Hampstead. It's  a relatively recent re working of an existing pub.. Formerly a Victorian style boozer its been given a respectful refurb and now has a Gastropub food offer. Great cod and chorizo with a lovely Chablis followed by a fantastic sticky toffee pudding if you must know.






The walls were dark and green in this case with an eclectic mixture of furniture. Its a look that's almost ubiquitous at the moment but I liked what I saw in The Old White Bear and some great features stood out against this sombre palette.






What I liked



  • Hessian Upholstery,  Hessian or sack cloth looked great and it had me reminiscing  on  days fabric printing on hessian as a kid. It's a good honest working man's material, none of your classy velvets here. Although I can't see it wearing very well.
  • Proper Paintings hung from brass rails. These guys had selected some great paintings that kept with the vintage spirit of the pub. I've been in too many pubs and restaurants where what's hung on walls is an after thought 
  • Simple striped back wood and almost bare light bulbs. Who supplies the vintage look bulbs with the clear glass and elements that burn orange ?


The whole look was executed with a  measured and confident eye and the stripped back wood reminded me of the Hostem Shoreditch shop I've written about previously.



Pictures via The Old White Bear

3 comments:

Mise said...

Those lights are wonderful - a laboratorial look evoking deliberation and precision. I could sure do with them in my hall, if anyone knows where they come from.

Ronan Carton said...

Mise, Thanks for your comment. Have a look at Rothschild and Bickers. I've specified their work before.

http://www.rothschildbickers.com/autoviewer_products/deliver/signature_products.html

Anonymous said...

That looks like an awesome design! I love how warm and woody it looks. And hanging pictures off of brass rails is quite genius.

Post a Comment